10 Reasons to Take the Kids Camping

13 May

Silly

So, you are thinking about taking the kids camping but you are not sure if all the lists and packing and unpacking is really going to be worth it.

Of course it is! Here are my top 10 reasons why you should go camping with your kids.

1.   If you give your kids the chance to get up close and personal with nature they are much more likely to come to love being outdoors as they grow up.

2.  People who have a good connection with nature and enjoy being outdoors are generally happier, healthier adults.

3.  Camping encourages families to slow down and spend genuine quality time together.

4.  Camping relaxes adults, happy adults make happy children.

5.  An outdoor lifestyle engenders confidence.

IMG_50716.  Camping is a cheap way to have a family holiday.

7.  There is no better feeling than seeing the kids going a bit feral and really enjoying childhood.

8.  On a campsite kids get dirty. Dirt is good for developing immune systems.

9.  Kids get to explore their own country, developing a sense of  identity and heritage.

10.  Camping is a great way to spend time with extended family and friends, especially if you don’t have a house big enough to put them all up.

IMG_3367

Camping, however you do it, really is a brilliant experience for kids and adults alike.

So what are you waiting for?

Find a brilliant campsite on the Map of Campsites and get out there!

Please add any more reasons why you love camping with you kids in comments!

Kite flying
Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

About these ads

15 Responses to “10 Reasons to Take the Kids Camping”

1. Clare Hughes May 13, 2013 at 8:34 pm #

in my camping world its a world of no TVs, iPADs, technology – children create their own adventures and entertainment and it is such a wonderful thing to watch them

2. Hazel May 13, 2013 at 9:28 pm #

Ha. Yes Clare. I nearly included that – no technology! But I suggest we are allowed Kindles and cameras!

3. Louise Edwards (@mygorgeousboys) May 13, 2013 at 9:43 pm #

Great list! I also think it is lovely how the kids make friends with other kids on the site and are soon playing football together or off to the play area. So also good for their social skills and confidence in unfamiliar situations. Obviously little ones need to be watched and stranger danger discussed with older children. Also with it being relatively cheap to camp your expectations are lower and you just enjoy it for what it is. We are huge camping fans, can’t wait to get going again! xx

• Hazel May 13, 2013 at 9:48 pm #

Ah yes! Excellent one! It’s that freedom that it’s hard to allow at home, plus yes, making new friends!

4. mummysallygg May 13, 2013 at 10:05 pm #

Going camping also means you get to really spend time together as a family, all mucking in and helping out! Creating memories that will last forever. My sister and I spent this weekend camping and reminiscing about camping trips we took as kids.

5. Coombe Mill (Fiona) (@coombemill) May 13, 2013 at 10:35 pm #

I think camping is great for all the reasons you mention. It is quality time together away from normal life and a chance to be a family unit and engage in old fashioned fun. Having said that I am happier with the kids in the tent and me in a comfy bed, but everything else I love! A great list and perfect for Country Kids. Thank you for linking up.

• Hazel May 14, 2013 at 8:31 am #

Thanks Fiona, I’m sure I’ll be back on Country Kids soon!

6. I heart motherhood May 14, 2013 at 5:00 am #

I really want to take my two on a camping trip but worry my youngest is too young (nearly 2) and it would be the most tiring holiday ever. Is 2 old enough? Being outdoors is so good for kids.

• Hazel May 14, 2013 at 8:30 am #

I would def go for a short trip, two nights max probably. And not too far from home incase all goes wrong! I took my youngest camping when she was 6 months. Top tip would be go with friends, makes everything so much easier, sharing child care, cooking and more chance that between you you’ll remember everything you need. Your biggest challenge will probably be bed time, try and be relaxed about it, you may need to lie with them until they go to sleep but don’t bother trying to get them down at the normal time! The more often you go the more everyone get used to it!

7. sarawith4 May 14, 2013 at 8:18 am #

No distractions lead to better interaction. Even the teens put down their gadgets to chat under the stars.

Camping is the best.

• Hazel May 14, 2013 at 8:24 am #

Oh, yes! And you’ve reminded me star gazing of course, something we rarely get the chance to do, only when camping.

8. Sally (Recipe Junkie) May 14, 2013 at 1:57 pm #

it gives the kids the opportunity for some independance – everyone has to muck in and you can give them jobs and the opportunity to feel like they are doing something important and on their own when in fact you can observe them discreetly from a distance if you want to – or not if you don’t. Letting them go feral allows them to explore their own limits, and as you say, camping with friends away from TV and the trappings of modern life is just brilliant for their social skills and also their resiliance. I can’t think of anything I’d rather do with my kids at the moment. So much that’s good for them – and for us as a family.

• Hazel May 14, 2013 at 2:05 pm #

Yes, yes. Independence. That’s a good one. Hurray for camping!

9. Mudpie Mama May 14, 2013 at 6:19 pm #

This is brilliant. I’m so excited about our first family camping trip now. I’m even looking forward to all the planning! lol

• Hazel May 14, 2013 at 9:56 pm #

Cheers Mudpie! Check out my map of campsites for some great campfire campsites. For me there is really no point without a fire!